Friday, August 6, 2010

Born Again Briefly - Greg Egan

"It would be absurd to over-generalise from my experience, but equally absurd to treat it as singular. Perhaps neurologists will eventually pin down a particular mechanism associated with the kind of religious practice I've described, but to me it seems equally likely that the mechanisms will be diverse. What I do suspect I once shared with a great many religious believers is not so much the core of mystical experience as the larger package that was wrapped around it: the belief that the universe has a purpose, and that despite the unspeakable horrors of our history and the smaller miseries of everyday life there is a promise that everything will be put right in the end. This is a powerful and appealing notion; once you have it in your grasp it's hard to let go, and some of us will go to very great lengths to rationalise holding on to it."


3.5 out of 5

http://www.gregegan.net/ESSAYS/BAB/BAB.html

No comments:

Post a Comment